From Better Homes and Gardens
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Bake: 350°F 45 mins to 50 mins
- 1 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup shortening
- 1/4cup finely chopped pecans
- 4 - 5tablespoons cold water
- 1cup corn syrup
- 2/3cup sugar
- 1/3cup margarine or butter, melted
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons bourbon whiskey
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2cups pecan halves
- Whipped cream (usually make ours with real whipped cream that we make ourselves)
DIRECTIONS:1.For pastry, in a bowl stir together the 1-1/4 cups flour and salt. Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Stir in finely chopped pecans. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat until all is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
2.On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough with your hands. Roll dough from center to edges, forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry around a rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold under extra pastry. Make a fluted edge. Do not prick pastry.
3.For filling, in a mixing bowl beat eggs lightly with a rotary beater until combined. Stir in corn syrup, sugar, margarine, the 1 tablespoon flour, the bourbon, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in the pecan halves.
4.Place pastry-lined pie plate on the oven rack. Pour the filling into the pastry-lined pie plate. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
5.Serve with whipped cream. Cover and chill to store. Makes 8 servings.
*To make your own whipped cream, use a container of real heavy cream and combine with a few drop of vanilla extract and sugar to taste. Beat until you are able to make peaks with the cream.
Recipe found on the Libby's pumpkin pie mix can
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell (I use a graham cracker shell found in the baking isle)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (30 ounce) can LIBBY'S® Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix
- 2/3 cup NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- PREHEAT oven to 425 degrees F.
- BEAT eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin pie mix and evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
- BAKE for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (Do not freeze as this may cause filling to separate from crust.)